Watch: Facade of NYC Building Collapses During Superstorm

A YouTube user captured the dramatic footage Monday, Oct. 29

A YouTube user captured this dramatic facade collapse in New York City Monday, Oct. 29.

From the Associated Press:

The facade of a four-story Manhattan building in the Chelsea neighborhood crumbled and collapsed suddenly, leaving the lights, couches, cabinets and desks inside visible from the street. No one was hurt, although some of the falling debris hit a car.

Comments

Welcome King

Poor building

October 30 2012 at 10:10 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Terri Lynn Sullivan

More proof America becoming a 3rd world, as our infrastructure crumbles under increased severe weather much due to human actions (nuclear power plants, oil/coal plants, bombs/nuclear weapons, drones flying over Boston now bringing "freedom" your way. Even 9/11 had proven internal plotting.....much covered up in American style politics and money. Trillions wasted on war/weapons over past decade rather than putting it into roads, building our nation, schools, healthcare etc. don't say we "spend so much on education and healthcare", its deceiving, the "budget" does not make it into classrooms and patients. It goes into bottom line standardized test corps and big pharma/insurance. No, this is NOT a negative attitude, it's called a dose of reality. Excuse me, I need to go volunteer in my beautiful child's school, help clean up environment, and create more awareness. God bless America!

October 30 2012 at 4:30 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Vineeth

Seems like the building was too old. The fire fighters are like real life heroes and deserves to be appreciated.

October 30 2012 at 12:42 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
cgerucker

That was amazing and sad for those tenants who are now homeless. The comments here although sad are true and heartfelt. I wish the people in our NYC fair well and rebound after this tragedy.

October 30 2012 at 11:43 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
suealiaim

he did not actually capture the facade falling, he caught the before and after...he was filming the street at the time the wall fell.

October 30 2012 at 11:19 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
bevhollandbeck

So fortunate that there were no firefighters under the wall that fell down. Their bravery in situations like this is as breathtaking as the storm itself.

October 30 2012 at 10:58 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
TooToo

Wow! I'm just comparing that to my barbie dollhouse that I used to have when I was little!

October 30 2012 at 10:53 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
latoyalynah

I can only wonder what they pay for rent to live in a place like that. So sad :(

October 30 2012 at 10:45 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
karenriggsartist

I wonder why the firemen were there before the building facade fell? They were trying to tape it off from the looks of it.

October 30 2012 at 7:58 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to karenriggsartist's comment
Kim

I saw this on the news last night, the building was on fire

October 30 2012 at 11:38 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
bwhitedjr

I understand that the storm is pretty bad in New York but that building just proved how dangerous some of the structures are regardless. I hope they investigate the structural safety of this apartment building and if found unsafe file slumlord charges against the owners. I think it was only a matter of time before that building was going to collapse with or without the storm.

October 30 2012 at 2:15 AM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply