Blizzard Conditions with Upper Midwest Snowstorm

Bitterly cold air tonight will cause slushy spots on roads and sidewalks to turn icy
Sunday, Dec. 9, 2012

Making the situation worse for travelers, blizzard conditions are accompanying the snowstorm invading the Upper Midwest today.

Snow will continue to spread eastward across the Upper Midwest into tonight, leaving the Dakotas in the process.

The heaviest snow, totaling 6 to 12 inches, will blanket central Minnesota and west-central Wisconsin. Minneapolis-St. Paul, Minn., and Eau Claire, Wis., lie in the heart of this zone.
Drivers are urged to use caution as the snow is creating slick and treacherous travel throughout the Upper Midwest, including on Interstates 29, 35, 75, 90 and 94.

Along the southern end of the snow zone -- south of I-90 in Minnesota and toward Madison, Wis., and Grand Rapids, Mich. -- the majority of the snow will fall on grassy surfaces with roads becoming slushy.

However, an invasion of bitterly cold air tonight will cause these slushy spots on roads and sidewalks to turn icy.

It is not just falling snow creating hazards for motorists, but also blizzard conditions as biting winds significantly whip the snow around. Visibility will become dramatically reduced as snow drifts form.

Such conditions have unfolded across eastern South Dakota and neighboring southeastern North Dakota, and will develop in a west-to-east fashion across western Minnesota as the day progresses.

Eastern Minnesota, home to the Twin Cities of Minneapolis and St. Paul, and western Wisconsin will be subject to the blowing and drifting snow tonight.

The howling winds will also continue to drive arctic air across the Rockies and Plains today, setting the stage for a second zone of snow to dive southward into New Mexico (including Albuquerque) and West Texas.

Temperatures will plunge 10 to 20 degrees below Saturday's highs from North Dakota to northern Arizona, New Mexico and the Texas panhandle today.

The blustery winds will create even colder AccuWeather.com RealFeel® temperatures.

The cold air will spread across more of the southern Plains and Midwest on Monday as the snowstorm reaches Quebec and severe weather threatens some communities in the South.

RELATED ON SKYE: The Snowiest Places on Earth

Comments

alainawildchild

i loved jmg62 story and insight on the weather as we grow old snow is no fun anymore well jmg 62 i was my dads plow monkey sometimes i would get out and change the pin on the angle, plowing was always an adventure with my dad but your story was pretty cool ! we did lots of shoveling too not like you though i have a lot of respect for you! stay positive over the long winter see you next spring ! the bears have it right sleep all winter and get out in the spring good luck to all and be safe just freezing away in vt so your in good company so long!

December 10 2012 at 9:31 AM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
rkeeeballs

Ahhhh, it's finally a real winter....time to fly away to a remote beach.....yup.

December 10 2012 at 9:27 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
jmg62

Oh, crap! Heeeee're we goooooo! Gonna hit far down the East coast, then another's comin'. At least it's not a NOR'EASTER yet! Be locked in snow until fricken' March! Anyone tell I'm not a "winter" person? Born in New England in December and never could ski, skate (ankle skater - and those from up there know what that is), tobogganing was fun (going DOWN that is - it was walking back up that was the pisser!). Only boy, so I shoveled my ass off! Sister's wanted to know why I hated snow storms of 3 inches or more (adds up as one's shoveling). Step father had a fricken plow on the front of his pick-up - but I hadda shovel the driveway before my mother got home from work though as an outside painter he was home all day! Before and after school and going off to work a evening paper route (seemed we were the only one's who actually SHOVELLED as I trudged up walks and driveways up to my knees in it) and then off to the Wonderful World of Burger Wad - coming home to shovel ours again and then for neighbors which my step-father never let me take money for (the bastard {but they snuck it to me})- do homework - go to bed - get up and do it all over again for as long as our snow storms kept up. And they ALWAYS lasted 3 days or more. Thank God I can pay someone these days - though they do a shitty job and I've gotta follow up on 'em from some need for perfection to do it "right" as my step-father wanted it done and mother always agreed with him. So if not for the fact it's too damned hot any farther down the Mason-Dixon line - I'd go further south. Got HIT by a snowplow blade once! Actually funny since thankfully I hadda thick coat on - but I sailed through the air and ended up buried deep in a snow bank - the man - "feeling" he hit "something" got out of his truck - looked around and saw a boot - "me" actually - and had to come shovel me out! Thank goodness 'cause I'd not one clue where I ended up - just knew I was buried. So, no, not a big fan of snow. Black Ice here is a whole other animal! One can drive in snow - but black ice? Pig would have better luck knowing where he's gonna land! Dangerous stuff. Too bad idiots drive at 5mph and even at 7mph coming up behind 'em - it's like Bumper Cars out there! Good Luck All!

December 10 2012 at 2:41 AM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
mitchell

Packers always play better in the snow...

December 09 2012 at 10:53 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
sjk09s

I live in Mpls/St Paul. Had to shovel my driveway 4 times today. Trying to stay positive....it IS very, very pretty and Christmasy.

December 09 2012 at 10:29 PM Report abuse +2 rate up rate down Reply
Love Shack

What's not too like about snow, snowboarding, skiing, tubing, ice skating, snowmobiling, bon fires, snowball fights, and writing your name in the snow after a few drinks ?

December 09 2012 at 9:48 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
Love Shack

Let it snow, let it snow, let it snow....woooo hoooo

December 09 2012 at 9:45 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
bungusderwiliger

If you can't get traction from your tires, remember to pee where the rubber meets the road. You will get loose fast.

December 09 2012 at 7:05 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Vicki

It's very slippery out there... Best to stay off the roads if possible. Arizona is looking better all the time...

December 09 2012 at 6:20 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Vicki's comment
Christina

I live in AZ. It's not that great. Season's are much better, I promise.

December 09 2012 at 10:41 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
asronce

ski season is here! HI HO OFF TO THE SLOPES I GO!

December 09 2012 at 5:32 PM Report abuse -1 rate up rate down Reply