Did Surfer Break World Record on This Mammoth Wave?

Photo prompts many to wonder if Garrett McNamara has ridden a 100-foot wave
Related: Adventure
Monday, Jan. 28, 2013

Facebook: Tó Mané

Big-wave surfer Garrett McNamara already has the record for surfing the biggest wave ever ridden -- a 78-foot beast at Nazaré, Portugal, in 2011. But on Monday, Jan. 28, he rode this massive wave at Nazaré, prompting SurferToday.com to wonder whether he not only broke his own world record but dropped into a 100-foot wave. (Or, as one Portuguese publication so eloquently put it, "Garrett McNamara volta a surfar montanha de água na Nazaré.")

McNamara wrote on Twitter Monday, "Thank you for all your support. It means the world to me. Today was an awesome day and so fun to be out there..."

The ride was captured on film by photographer Tó Mané.

It'll take some time for record keepers to assess the size of this wave. Meanwhile, here's video of McNamara's epic 2011 ride:

RELATED ON SKYE: 15 Gut-Wrenching Wipeout Photos

Comments

boyle1034

Someday this McNamara will discover his niche in life. (The he can help me find mine).

January 29 2013 at 4:52 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Michael Tsantoulis

minimal 80 feet. amazing at that.

January 29 2013 at 4:40 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
wmk3rd

I stutter apparently

January 29 2013 at 4:35 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
wmk3rd

Rode a bigger one than that back in 'Nam.

January 29 2013 at 4:34 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to wmk3rd's comment
lesspall

i remember when i was in Nam'............I was so mad at my travel agent.

January 29 2013 at 4:42 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
shadowfall6

That wave doesn't look like a 100 ft wave to me, not unless this guy is fifteen feet tall.

January 29 2013 at 3:48 AM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to shadowfall6's comment
lesspall

Really ? To me it looks like even if Garrett was only 5 feet tall you could easily stack 20 of him in this photo on top of each other from the bottom to the top of this wave. 20 X 5= 100.

January 29 2013 at 4:27 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Ricki

scary!

January 29 2013 at 3:08 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Michael p

I guess with ballz that big you can't drown anyway. You just float to the top.

January 29 2013 at 1:42 AM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
bootz6

I have always had a fear of the ocean since I was little. I am amazed that someone could ride such a wave and survive. How did he know when this kind of wave was coming ? Hey, I used to get queasy just watching the beginning of the ORIGINAL Hawaii Five -O . What is also amazing as someone pointed out, is the magnitude of that wave's energy. Simply amazing..Scary.

January 29 2013 at 1:40 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
nbk4real

No stink eye to that dude....charger.

January 29 2013 at 12:38 AM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
smokintreezz

Someday when a giant asteroid or comet slams into the ocean, he'll be there riding the wave that's coming to kills us all. Might as well, right? One hell of a way to go out of this world. Though, it's probably impossible. The wave would travel so fast that he wouldn't even know what hit him.

January 29 2013 at 12:38 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply