Watch: Intense Blizzard Bears Down on Amarillo, Texas

See snow and wind tear through the area
Feb. 25, 2013

The second winter storm in less than a week slammed the central plains on Monday morning. Blizzard conditions continue to bear down on the region, forcing highway closures from West Texas to Oklahoma. One man braved the elements to get this footage of the windy whiteout taking over his Amarillo, Texas, backyard.

RELATED ON SKYE: Second Blizzard in Less than a Week Slams Central Plains

Comments

ohohblondemoment

Thankful for the snow here in Amarillo, I am right in the middle of town. We are still in a drought and the moisture was much appreciated.

February 26 2013 at 10:10 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
BETH

Wow ...I am from Niagara Falls..and that wind is pretty fierce!!

February 26 2013 at 9:56 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
synthetikurine

October in Buffalo!

February 26 2013 at 9:49 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Keith

Global warning by Al (Jazzera) Gore......Its better to be a little warm then well digger cold!!!

February 26 2013 at 9:35 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
rkeeeballs

....Is that global warming...Texas style ?...or did Rick Perry finally get Cheeses Rice that peed off ?

February 26 2013 at 8:23 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
angelheart821

I couldn't help chuckling while looking at the blizzard pics, thinking blizzard, what blizzard? Come up to Buffalo, NY! But I'm not meaning to offend anyone; I just can't believe what's going on in your states, the treacherous roads.....we're so used to being pounded but our last few winters have been more ice than snow and milder except for frigid temps. We have hundreds of plows and tons of salt whereas states like yours this is unprecedented. I have brothers in Fairfax, VA and Houston, TX and both have said people don't know how to drive through this. There's a joke that says New Yorkers can get hired in any state but our own b/c we can drive through anything, will be the first to show up at work and just about everything is open 24/7. Anyway, I hope I didn't offend anyone and I'm praying for you out there to be safe b/c conditions like this are dangerous no matter where you live. Snow is snow whether it's here or there. Stay warm and safe! From what I hear, we're next!

February 26 2013 at 7:10 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
paxrail

What is the difference between Amarillo in a blizzard and Amarillo in the summer? The snow, because the wind never stops blowing out there.

February 26 2013 at 2:24 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Angela

Whoops. Didn't mean to post it twice! lol

February 26 2013 at 1:43 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Angela

Looks like every winter in Wyoming!

February 26 2013 at 1:42 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Doc

This is a pretty accurate video of conditions on Amarillo at that time. Officially we had 19 inches of snow and hurricane-force winds (70 mph?). Note the sidewalk that has no snow and the drift (3 feet or so?) next to it. I had areas in my yard where I could see the grass and 3-foot drifts a short distance away. In all honest, the first of the video most accurately depicts the visibility. Near the end of the video I suspect that what appears to be "white-out" is snow on the camera lens. Many of the windows of my house were covered with snow until after noon.

February 26 2013 at 12:35 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply