Downpours, Thunder Possible for the Kentucky Derby

A storm system will produce thundery rains on Saturday

(Mark Cornelison/Lexington Herald-Leader/MCT via Getty Images)

There is a risk of drenching downpours and a locally strong thunderstorm for the 139th running of the Kentucky Derby at Churchill Downs on May 4, 2013.

The race, called "the fastest two minutes," is one and one quarter mile long. Only 3-year-old thoroughbreds can compete in the race.

Leading up to Saturday's race, the high temperature will be 82 degrees F on Friday.

"A storm system will produce thundery rains over much of Illinois and Missouri Friday into Saturday," said AccuWeather expert senior meteorologist Alex Sosnowski, "Drenching downpours will be drifting slowly eastward across Kentucky and Indiana during the day Saturday."

Annually, 100,000 people or more attend the race at Churchill Downs. Spectators attending this year's race may want to bring umbrellas and waterproof shoes. Seek shelter in a secure building in the event of a thunderstorm. If you can hear thunder, you can be struck by lightning.

RELATED:
Storms, Flooding Along Gulf Coast This Week
Renewed Flooding Potential Into the Weekend

It will be cooler on Saturday with temperatures reaching 72 degrees F.

"The weather will be unsettled with clouds and an increasing chance for shower and thunderstorm activity," said expert senior meteorologist Carl Erickson.

For more weather news, visit AccuWeather.com.

TAKE THE SKYE QUIZ: Can You Identify These 10 Cities?
New Orleans from Space

Comments

braigno2

unfortunately i hear form my friends there that no umbrellae are allowed at CD , no bags bigger than 12" are allowed, because of security, do better have some kind of poncho i ghess if you dont want to be drenched

May 04 2013 at 10:32 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Chris Taylor

IF the weather looks anything like what I drove in on Thursday then it will be a cold rainy (driving rain) Day.....not a really good day for racing.....it was frigidly cold.......

May 04 2013 at 1:15 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Rebecca Taylor

english picnic weather - perfect ? Derby no, just waiting to make my bet, as are we all - Kildare, Ireland x

May 03 2013 at 10:29 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Wendi Jaeck

Let Me guess. Vets are standing everywhere and so are the trailers to haul the Losers off to a Slaughter House. Or to China.

May 03 2013 at 9:04 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
2 replies to Wendi Jaeck's comment
hellyon3too

What a stupid thing to say. Let me guess. You know nothing about horse racing.

May 04 2013 at 1:40 AM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to hellyon3too's comment
Wendy

Think real hard,then do a search of Thoroughbred Rescue Farms and READ about the horrific injuries sustained for a life of racing. Rescue Farms are NOT publicly funded and Rescues cannot afford to help most of the damaged 'done racing' horses. Wendi is more correct than you realize. Perhaps YOU know about RACING, but you are ignorant of what happens AFTER the horse 'isn;t good enough anymore."

May 04 2013 at 8:46 AM Report abuse rate up rate down
jillcvin

This disturbs me, too, Wendi. :(

May 04 2013 at 9:44 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
ozrok

Fastest 2 minutes IN SPORTS

May 03 2013 at 7:51 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to ozrok's comment
yankeedoug1121

like to see you keep up with them !

May 04 2013 at 9:29 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Johnny Jay

When I make a bet on any sporting event I always bet with my mind. This to me is a sure bet. If I lose the only thing I will loose is part of my mind that is already fading. If I win then my mind gets wiser and I still have all my cash still in my pocket. LOL

May 03 2013 at 7:00 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
2 replies to Johnny Jay's comment
dbrockskk1

lose

May 03 2013 at 7:26 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
alfonso_guerrero

a half clap

May 03 2013 at 11:54 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Angela

Umbrellas not allowed in Churchill Downs; bring your ponchos!

May 03 2013 at 5:59 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
auagsmith

If you're betting on the Derby, looks like you'd better pick a mudder...

May 03 2013 at 5:49 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply