Watch: Brothers Snap Pic Before Being Struck by Lightning

They were laughing as their hair stood up -- but not for long
Brothers Snap Pic Before Being Struck by Lightning
A photo taken at California's Moro Rock in 1975 showing two brothers just moments before they were struck by lightning is captivating internet users. Michael McQuilken, pictured at right, recalled the August day in an article recently posted online. He and his two brothers, his sister and a friend had just hiked to the top of Moro Rock in Sequoia National Park and were taking in the view when their hair started standing on end. They thought it was funny. He and his brother, Sean, posed for a photo.

McQuilken recalls what happened next:

I distinctly remember feeling weightless, and that my feet were no longer touching the ground. For some reason, it felt like a number of seconds transpired, even though I realize that lightning strikes are instantaneous. A deafening explosion followed, and I found myself on the ground with the others. Sean was collapsed and huddled on his knees. Smoke was pouring from his back. I rushed over to him and checked his pulse and breathing. He was still alive. I put out the embers on his back and elbows and carried him down the path towards the parking lot, with the rest of the group following.

Sean suffered third-degree burns but survived. Sadly, one man in the area who was struck did not.

PHOTOS ON SKYE: Lightning Strikes Across the World
Lightning

Comments

qaqs9000

One of the worst places this happens is in coastal regions. People see a storm way off in the distance maybe 50 miles away. They have no fear and think they have nothing to worry about. Suddenly a bolt of lightening races across the sky the entire distance and kills someone on the beach under clear blue sky. If your hair stands up get the heck out of Dodge.

August 05 2013 at 3:49 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1786 House

This photo has been used by the NWS for severe weather seminars for 30 years. Hardly "new"!

August 05 2013 at 2:45 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
2012 Clark 2012

Anyone can get a made up story like this for national attention.

August 05 2013 at 3:43 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to 2012 Clark 2012's comment
Roberta

And they would do this, why??

August 09 2013 at 2:57 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Sole

I remember as a kid running down the middle of the street when lightening apparently struck in front of me. I had on a rubber slicker and rubber soled shoes so that may have helped me. I just remember standing frozen, my mind aware but it seemed like forever before I could take another step. It was close enough to me to pop the crystal out of my watch. Come to find out that street has more lightening strikes than any other in town. I've learned a new respect for lightening. Jump another 20 years we'd just bought a house. My next door neighbor had 9 kids in her pool. I came out, the sky didn't feel right. The energy was just so tremendous, in the area, anxious,forboding, I looked at my hair on my arms and it was standing up. I yelled at my neighbor to hurry, get the kids out of the pool. She got the last one out and into the house and lightening struck my cherry tree in the back, breaking it in pieces. So, to me, as a warning, I look at how I feel first, then to the weather channels.

August 01 2013 at 11:48 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
favor

moral lesson: next time... take extra precautions, don't just laugh at it.

August 01 2013 at 11:04 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
rothhammer1

Some years ago, I was a tour guide at Meteor Crater in Arizona.

If you've never been there, the crater rim rises high above an otherwise rather flat high plateau. During one tour, guests started giggling while I was going through some rather technical information. At the same time a guest removed his hat and his long, thin hair did just what is shown in this article's photo. I reached a hand up to my own hair, felt an electrified chia pet up there, and got those couple of dozen people and myself off the trail and into the building post haste.

When inside, I explained to them what could have just happened and how close we were to being fried. Some already knew, some were rather amazed, others scoffed at the very idea.

August 01 2013 at 10:33 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to rothhammer1's comment
favor

would this mean, we shouldn't take off the hat? how about the color of the clothes? does it matter too?

August 01 2013 at 11:05 PM Report abuse -2 rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to favor's comment
Christopher Luther

What the hell are you even talking about?

August 01 2013 at 11:55 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down
rjggoldstandard

Duuude, your hairs standing up. Duuuude, so is yours. That's awwwwesome. BLAM!

August 01 2013 at 9:32 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
clinton

City Boys should stay in the city or anyone else that thinks when your hair stands up it's funny.

August 01 2013 at 9:07 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
TSully980

I didn't know that much about lightning until the need arose. Respect mother nature. This is what can happen if you don't. www.nathansullivan.com

August 01 2013 at 6:58 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
dworkenlaw1

I would have NO idea that lighting was about to strike.

I would assume Don King was making an appearance in the neighborhood!

August 01 2013 at 6:57 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply