What Was It Like to Experience 9/11 From Space?

Astronaut Frank Culbertson was looking down at Earth that horrible day
Wednesday, Sept. 11, 2013

(NASA)

On Sept. 11, 2001, as smoke rose from the World Trade Center site, American astronaut Frank Culbertson was aboard the International Space Station, soaring high over Earth.

"I didn't know exactly what was happening," he recalled, "but I knew it was really bad, because there was a big cloud of debris covering Manhattan."

Soon after, of course, he learned that planes had struck the World Trade Center. He captured this haunting photo of smoke rising from the site.

"It's horrible to see smoke pouring from wounds in your own country from such a fantastic vantage point," he said later. "The dichotomy of being on a spacecraft dedicated to improving life on the Earth and watching life being destroyed by such willful, terrible acts is jolting to the psyche, no matter who you are."

Culbertson recalls the experience beginning at 1:25 in the NASA video below.

RELATED ON SKYE: 25 Amazing Photos of the International Space Station
International Space Station, Shuttle

Comments

mcybersmith

I don't remember where I was that day. But I do know that EVER since, I have been following the story and the truth that people have been finding about how the whole thing was a hoax.

You can know the truth also, it's right here:

We KNOW the entire 9/11 story is false

Study and decide for yourself:

MUST WATCH!! BEST UNDER 5 MINUTE 911 VIDEO EVER - YouTube

WANT YOUR MIND BLOWN?

2013 NEW Loose Change 3rd Edition! MUST SEE! 911 Truth - INSIDE JOB - YouTube

911 Loose Change 2nd Edition - YouTube

loose change 1st edition full - YouTube [multi-choice - awesome]

Exposing the fraud of 9/11 in 22 minutes - YouTube

CIA insider tells 911 truth. Time to re-examine your World-view, America! - YouTube

The missile that hit WTC 2 in Slow Motion - YouTube

No Windows on Flight 175 - YouTube

September 12 2013 at 12:33 AM Report abuse -1 rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to mcybersmith's comment
A A

You're so full of crap. You're a worthless piece of ****.

November 12 2013 at 10:15 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
brachm5

We should have nuked the countries that these suicide bombers came from, a day after the 9/11 horror.

September 12 2013 at 12:22 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
gerslb

dang....I wonder what that was like......

September 11 2013 at 10:56 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
NATASHA

In memorium to those human beings that lost their life senselessly and to the loved ones that still
light a candle in their beautiful memory of that loved one. May we all know compassion as we gathered
together on that day of tragedy and bonded as a people. Let's not forget what is most important,
compassion. We should all do simple acts of kindness every day, whether it's to put money in an expired parking meter of someone else's car, or as I do, I water the beautiful Japanese maple tree a mile from my home every day so that it does not die, as the renters of that property do not. I drive
past and say "Hello Mr. Tree" and smile that he/she is growing strong. So we should all be not
about ourselves but rather about others. Such small acts of kindness can go so far. The sun has set, it's time I light a candle in memorium to ALL people who suffer. Love, Natasha

September 11 2013 at 10:50 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to NATASHA's comment
NATASHA

oops, I meant "memoriam"

September 11 2013 at 11:01 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
johnnievelas@q.c

I CRY AND CRY SO MUCH AND WONDER WTYF!. IS HAPPENING TO OUR COUNTRY. I ACTUALLY HOPE THAT GOD WILL DESTROY ALL OF US. BECAUSE HE IS WONDERING WHAT DID I DO TO START ANOTHER RACE. OF HATE AND EVIL. REMBER: "GOD" GAVE U7S THE WILL TO DO OUR OWN THINKING. SO! DON'T EVEN THINK ABOUT BLAMING HIM FOR YOUR PROBLEMS.

September 11 2013 at 9:57 PM Report abuse -3 rate up rate down Reply
2 replies to johnnievelas@q.c's comment
tgeren1

It's that free will thing most just do not get. They want to live without God, morals and accountability for their actions then blame God because things just don't go right for them. I cry for our country also. Mostly for the generation growing up today that were never taught anything about the gift from God our country once had. So very sad.

September 11 2013 at 10:41 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
tiffani

Oh, please...

September 12 2013 at 9:13 AM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
wud up

Am I the only one that can see a creepy face in the image? Kind of like the smoke is coming out from around the back of the mouth?

September 11 2013 at 9:42 PM Report abuse +5 rate up rate down Reply
3 replies to wud up's comment
Michael Beni

on a lighter side if there is one... I can see my house from there!!!!! Bayonne!!!!

September 11 2013 at 9:39 PM Report abuse +2 rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Michael Beni's comment
basinger01

there is something REALLY wrong with this photo.............the river that appears to go
East from the smoke does not exist in lower Manhattan. It is an island with the East River on one side and the Hudson on the West side. So what is all the areas of water that are not the 2 rivers ?????

September 11 2013 at 10:12 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
3 replies to basinger01's comment
maria111965

Remember 9/11/2001

Remember this day.
We will never forget; nor we will never be forgotten, from this generation, next generation, nor future generations to come....we will never be gone.

Other Nations might try to bring us down; try to bury was with our humiliation.
They might break us; beat us with their words, actions, or threats, remember us at 9/11
We are strong; we survived the past, the present, and we will survive in the future with all our glory.

Remember 9/11...eventually, nothing can bring us down, nothing can break us, nothing anyone can do to break this COUNTRY, UNITED STATES OF AMERICA in half....not matter WHAT we will rise from the rubble, humiliation, from anger, from other Countries trying to destroy this USA...Remember 9/11...that DAY...we are survivors, past survivors, present survivors, and Future Survivors....There is NOTHING you can do to break us....you are just Making US STRONGER than ever before.

So You just be ready, we will come up from the Rubble, Stronger, Meaner, and most of all We will be READY to defend OUR Freedom of the United States of America.

No Men (other Countries)shall take the most important thing that means to US Americans....That is Called....Our FREEDOM.

September 11 2013 at 9:24 PM Report abuse +3 rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to maria111965's comment
tgeren1

Read "The Harbinger" I think you got it all wrong. Pride and thinking we can do it all is what got us into this mess in the first place. We are not the strong ones. We can't fix this with our will and PRIDE. Put your trust in God. He can save it. Man? Not in a million years. Doesn't the headlines prove that? We ain't FIXING anything! That in a nut shell is the problem! Man is all about himself and we choose to leave God out of it. And it isn't working, is it. I sure can't blame God for turning his back on this country. We stopped believing in him, took him out of our schools, our homes and our government and now all the happy libs want to do is deny his existence. I LOL daily! WTSHF they will be the first ones saying "Please God, Save my immoral ass! " "If you are real, prove it with a miracle"

September 11 2013 at 10:57 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
flash67todd

Well something similar (in its own right) is happening to people in Syria by a dictator and as far as I can tell about 70% of the Country wants to do nothing about it? I don't understand that. The politicians on both sides of the aisle can put any kind of spin it they want though this is a moral issue. I never voted for Obama so save the tags.

September 11 2013 at 9:17 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to flash67todd's comment
tdhammond1

The people of Syria have to choose now, what they really want. We can not do that for them, but I am always sorry for the people and what they are going to lose in their fight.

September 11 2013 at 9:38 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
temeculapaul

From the photo/headline on AOL, I thought I was seeing a unique rock sculpture of an artist with a paint brush. I haven't even had my glass of Temecula wine yet!

September 11 2013 at 9:16 PM Report abuse -2 rate up rate down Reply
Look: Stunning Photo of Astronauts' Plunge to Earth