Watch: Lightning Strikes During Football Game

Dramatic video shows the bolt hitting during a halftime performance
Related: Lightning
Tuesday, Sept. 17, 2013
Lightning Strikes During Orlando High School Football Game

Cries rang out at an Orlando University High School football game Friday, Sept. 13, 2013, when lightning struck during the halftime show. A marching band was performing on the field when the bolt appears to strike a tree on the far side of the field. Slow-motion replays in the video reveal the tree completely illuminated when the bolt hits.

"We all ran for cover," a parent of one of the players told the Orlando Sentinel. "The weather was great and it hit with no warning. Friday the 13th was a crazy night."

No injuries were reported, but officials ended the game early.

RELATED ON SKYE: 50 Incredible Photos of Forces of Nature
Volcano, Forces of Nature

Comments

Sandy

A little close for comfort!

September 18 2013 at 6:23 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
Billy Rogers

And Michelle Bachmann immediately claimed responsiblity for the strike, claiming that God had instructed her to 'get their attention' for...for...well for something. She wasn't sure what they had done but she said she would think of something. Get back with her later.

September 18 2013 at 5:14 PM Report abuse +2 rate up rate down Reply
BillR

Lightning is one of the things that scare me. I am an EE and have a lot of respect for electricity. I've made a few mistakes in the early days that could have turned out bad for me. Thankfully I've learned and I'm still around. Not many get a second chance.

September 18 2013 at 5:13 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
dickn2000b

WOW! Imagine that! A lightning strike near a football game. I'll bet that's never happened before. Oh wait, I remember now. When I was a grad student at the U of F I saw dozens of lightning strikes while at football games in the "swamp."

September 18 2013 at 2:05 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
rschli7137

l

September 18 2013 at 1:54 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
lewtheprof

Did anyone notice the Twitter post by Anne Spivey? "Lightening strike"? Stupid person! It's LIGHTNING, not "lightening!" I'll bet they've actually seen this spelled correctly a hundred times, at least, and yet, still hasn't gotten the clue. Unless you are doing something to reduce the darkness of your hair or increase the brightness of a room or talking about what happens with the light level when the sun starts to come up in the dawn, "lightening" is NOT your word! Please! http://www.elearnenglishlanguage.com/difficulties/lighteninglightning.html

September 18 2013 at 1:28 PM Report abuse -5 rate up rate down Reply
3 replies to lewtheprof's comment
James

Talk about Friday night lights Wow!

September 18 2013 at 11:27 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply