Watch: Aurora Borealis Captured on Transatlantic Flight

It could arguably be the best example of in-flight entertainment, ever
Aurora Borealis Captured on Transatlantic Flight

It could arguably be the best example of in-flight entertainment, ever: London-based programmer Paul Williams was traveling on a transatlantic flight from New York to London when he captured this stunning timelapse video of the Aurora Borealis shimmering in the sky.

Aurorae borealis occur when solar storms eject charged, colliding particles into the Earth's atmosphere, a phenomenon that peaks roughly every 11 years during what's called solar maximum.

RELATED ON SKYE: 20 Dazzling Photos of the Northern Lights

Comments

phpoling

BEAUTIFUL!!!

December 14 2013 at 12:27 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
heart2survive

This is what I watched for years in Alaska. I also watched the very rare "BLOOD RED" borealis. I now live in Washington state, at the Canadian border. In winter I have seen them very faintly from my deck, if I venture out in the cold winter nights. No comparison to what I saw in Alaska, but they still are exciting to watch. Merry Christmas everyone!

December 13 2013 at 8:26 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
jmenuis

Those who participate in Smackcam should face a ten year mandatory sentence or more if there are injuries. This crap must stop!

December 13 2013 at 5:06 PM Report abuse -1 rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to jmenuis's comment
rjackson2a

What in the hell are you talking about?

December 14 2013 at 1:09 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Erik

Is not God the ultimate artist? What an inspirational way to start my day- thanks everyone involved in sharing it! -EJ of LA

December 13 2013 at 4:32 PM Report abuse -2 rate up rate down Reply
2 replies to Erik's comment
uptheirons726

Nature, not some fairy tale is the true artist. Get a grip.

December 13 2013 at 4:55 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
jmenuis

It isn't God. It is ionizing radiation.

December 13 2013 at 5:02 PM Report abuse +2 rate up rate down Reply
rjvs76

I thought the same thing utgraddad56. how can he be flying east if the Northern lights are obviously from the North and the video is taken from the right side of the plane heading west? another incorrectly reported story.

December 13 2013 at 4:29 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Tutu

When I lived in the town of North Pole, AK, I was able to lie on my bed and look out the window at the Aurora. It would hit in the middle of the night when the temps. were well below zero..

December 13 2013 at 4:28 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
DAVID

Wow I love the video and pictures on this page. We go hiking with our American Foxhound and he wears a Collar Camera, you can view his pictures at http://www.starhillcreations.com/

December 13 2013 at 4:08 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Ric

Watching things like this for me it isn't hard to understand why ancient humanity turned to gods after all they didn't have the science we do today.

December 13 2013 at 3:56 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
Daria

Same thing happened to me on a flight from Los Angeles to London! Apparantly we flew north enough to be able to see it and it was wild!

December 13 2013 at 3:27 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
truck427

looked like two lovers in a convetiable ............

December 13 2013 at 2:13 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply