Snowstorm Takes Aim at Northern New England, New Brunswick

Today's storm could dump many inches of snow across New England and Canada

Sunday, December 29, 2013

This file photo of a snowy winter scene could be what many in New England and eastern Canada will soon see. (A. Davey/Flickr)

A winter storm will affect northern New England and New Brunswick on Sunday night into Monday, leading to slippery travel and raising the risk of new power outages.

A storm moving up from the South with drenching rain will run into cold air and deposit heavy snow in parts of the Northeast.

Enough snow will fall to cause slippery travel over the I-95 corridor, north of Boston; and northern portions of I-87 and I-91, as well as much of I-89 and I-93. Slippery travel is also possible for a time along the Massachusetts Turnpike, west of I-91.

The storm will produce a swath of 6- to 12-inch snowfall from central New Hampshire to central Maine and central New Brunswick.

Several inches of snow are forecast to fall on northern upstate New York, much of Vermont, western Massachusetts, along the coasts of New Hampshire and Maine, Nova Scotia and over part of the St. Lawrence Valley.

The combination of snow and increasing winds will bring a risk of more downed trees and power outages to areas hit hard by last weekend's devastating ice storm. Wind gusts from the east reaching between 30 and 40 mph are possible from Maine through New Brunswick on the front side of the storm on Sunday night. Wind gusts from the west and northwest of 15 to 25 mph are likely in the wake of the storm from southern Ontario to New England on Monday.

RELATED:
AccuWeather.com Winter Weather Center
Latest Watches, Warnings, Advisories
US Interactive Radar

On the ski slopes, the storm will bring thick blankets of natural snow in time for the New Year's holiday. An Arctic blast sweeping in behind the storm will ensure the snow sticks around.

Rain and sleet will mix in along the northern New England coast, while primarily rain falls along the southern New England coast.

Farther west in the mountains of Pennsylvania, West Virginia, western Maryland and across upstate New York, a change from rain to snow is forecast later on Sunday into Sunday night. A slushy coating to an inch or two of snow is possible over the higher ground in the I-80, I-81, I-88, and I-99 corridors.

In northeastern Pennsylvania and in part of southeastern New York state the air may be chilly enough at the onset of the rain Sunday for a period of freezing rain over the high ground along I-80 and I-84.

Along I-95 from Boston to New York City, Philadelphia and Washington, D.C., wet travel is forecast with rain spreading northward on Sunday. However, while these areas will not receive accumulating snow, travel delays from waterlogged highways and poor visibility at airports are likely.

RELATED ON SKYE: 50 Must-See Weather Photos from 2013
Twin Waterspouts

Comments

ferrellfarmer

I really do wish they would quit spewing all these LIES about all this snow and ice. Everyone knows it is nothing but LIES I don`t know where they are getting all these fake pictures but there is no snow and there is no ice. So we all know it is LIES LIES AND MORE LIES ON TOP OF MORE LIES LIES LIES. Everone thinks King Al Gore is right so all we have is GLOBAL WARMING and everyone should know you can`t have ICE AND SNOW WHEN everything is warming up RIGHT?????????????????? So now who is right King Al Gore or Nature????????????????????????

December 30 2013 at 6:19 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Meowzers

Had nothing but rain here many hours ago.

December 30 2013 at 2:40 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Heather

eeacluded, you must love them an awful lot! Clean out that att ic and MOVE, to where you are the happiest...from one that did not.

December 30 2013 at 1:23 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
dan_crabtree

"well good for them"....enjoy..

December 29 2013 at 9:09 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
adika3z

what is a new england.
what is that mean new england.
no no need a NEW ENGLAND.
time is a new america.
yes NEW AMERICA and not new england

December 29 2013 at 8:37 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
3 replies to adika3z's comment
grgrytckr

Glad I live in FLA.

December 29 2013 at 8:14 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to grgrytckr's comment
fvleo

I'm glad you live there too.

December 29 2013 at 9:54 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
camarillofats

Here in paradise today, on California's central coast it is seventy seven degrees and a bit windy. We keep all of our snow up in the mountains so we can go visit it and then leave it there.

December 29 2013 at 6:49 PM Report abuse -1 rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to camarillofats's comment
fvleo

It must be strange living in places where the lack of snow is worth bragging about. Here in New York we have so much else we don't even bother bragging. I just left visiting realtives in Florida. What a boring place! Glad to be back in the Big Apple!

December 29 2013 at 9:56 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Pammy

Hey send me the snow. I will take it I am sick of RAIN RAIN RAIN MUD PUDDLES and just RAIN.

December 29 2013 at 6:41 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
ddstan1120

Now one can see why people don't retire to the north.

December 29 2013 at 4:58 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
elnpet

Well it is winter time. what do you expect ? Tulips.? let the kids go sliding and the skiers go skiing and you enjoy what you enjoy in the winter time. as for me I will watch TV. have good meals and use my computer. I consider myself lucky to be able to do this since I am 86 years old and in fairly good health. go to the movies. take up knitting. help as a volumteer some place. it will help you pass the winter. there are things to do to stop the complaining. most of us cannot go to Florida for the winter months. so punt. take up a hobby you have always wanted to. you can make it easier for your self by not complaining about it. Good luck.

December 29 2013 at 4:52 PM Report abuse +7 rate up rate down Reply
2 replies to elnpet's comment
naojf22936

Retire to the North....we live here. We take what comes...chickens leave their roost when trouble comes.

December 29 2013 at 5:06 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Karen

I love your attitude! May you continue to have good health. For those having Grandchildren, be a part of their lives even if they live a distance away. They are such an important part of my life (along with my Hubby)!

December 30 2013 at 6:18 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply