Blowing Snow, Wind Causes Massive Pileup Along I-90 in S.D.

High winds created blizzardlike conditions and near-zero visibility

Friday, Jan. 17, 2014
Winter Storm South Dakota
This photo shows a multiple vehicle pile up Thursday, Jan. 16, 2014, on Interstate 90 near Humboldt, S.D., about 30 miles west of Sioux Falls. (AP Photo/Minnehaha County Emergency Management, Lynn DeYoung)

On Thursday afternoon, blowing snow and near-zero visibilities caused a massive pileup along I-90 near Sioux Falls, S.D.

While the region only had a few snow bursts during the day on Thursday, high winds caused snow to blow around to create blizzardlike conditions.

"It not so much what's falling that is blowing around but what was on the ground was already," AccuWeather meteorologist Brian Edwards said.

The 22-car pileup occurred at mile marker 375 along I-90, west of Sioux Falls, just before 3 p.m. CST.

The weather through the rest of the day is not expected to get any better and may actually make for more dangerous road conditions.

RELATED:
The Top 5 Least-Known Dangers of Winter
AccuWeather Winter Weather Center
Slip and Falls: How to Know When You're Liable

Winds through the evening are expected to gust to up between 40 and 45 mph, and temperatures will continue to drop.

"Conditions will not get any better, winds will continue through the night and temperatures will fall below zero by midnight," Edwards said.

However, no additional snow is expected for the area.

The local National Weather Service office in Sioux Falls has asked residents to only travel for emergency situations.

RELATED ON SKYE: 20 Photos of Monster Blizzards

Comments

ELGlueckert

The way I see it, people need to slow down during bad weather conditions, this just proves that they probably weren't.

January 18 2014 at 3:32 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Hello Beautiful

46 car pile up last week in Boise, Idaho. Did that make national news?

January 18 2014 at 12:18 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Thomas

Well, I still live in South Dakota and wouldn't even think of consciously traveling in weather this bad. I've been traveling and had a freak snow storm or a rain squall come out of nowhere, but most of us watch the weather and just hunker down when it is forecast to be bad. I feel bad for people involved in large pile ups. Once you're in, you just have to sit there and wait to see if anyone hits you from behind. Hopefully, none of them ventured out of their vehicles.

January 17 2014 at 11:24 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Brenda Fay

I AM SO GLAD MY PARENTS TOOK ME OUT OF NEW HAMPSHIRE AS A BABY, ALL I HAVE KNOWN IS CALIFORNIA WEATHER AND FLORIDA WEATHER. I AM BLESSED!!!!!!

January 17 2014 at 10:42 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
dsodak53

Please do not dump all bad drivers in the female category. I grew up in So. Dak., have traveled extensively and have never had an accident. Knowing your vehicle, paying attention to road/weather conditions is paramount as is being a considerate driver. I like my car and body in one piece and hopefully will continue accident-free.

January 17 2014 at 7:11 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
larry

I will never understand why people continue to go 65 miles per hour when they can't see more than a car length in front of them. It's as if they went stupid and forget they CAN slow down.

January 17 2014 at 7:05 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
markmaw1974

I remember one summer when my family and I were at the beach. The weather was beautiful, the water was great, and I had an ice cold beer in my hand...just saying...

January 17 2014 at 2:30 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
normemail

I'm amazed by the number of people who drive around in bad weather with no lights on, Just because you can't see any better with them on doesn't mean you should't have them on! You are much easier to see with your lights on!!!!! Even in fair weather!!!!!!! Daytime runnig lights, manditory in many european countries and standard equipment on lots of cars make sense.
Of course, I'm equally baffled by people who won't wear seat belts. Air bags kill!
If you think you have more control on slippery roads with a manual transmission, reconcider. Using engine braking on slippery surfaces is dangerous and awkward. Learn how to use the brakes!!!!!
Oh, and btw....... suv's etc with four wheel drive or AWD are much more stable on slippery surfaces as long as they have viable all weather or snow tires. Super wide low profile high performance tires? FORGET ABOUT IT! Useless regardless of the vehicle. Just ask somebody with a Porche 959 (AWD) and the stock tires. Useless on a slippery surface. Of course, you can still put anything in a ditch with enough effort!

January 17 2014 at 2:17 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
sonnybabe59

Why do they always blame it on the weather, and not the dumb ass drivers?

January 17 2014 at 1:46 PM Report abuse +8 rate up rate down Reply
jktkw

sure the conditions were bad, but the biggest problem, as always, are the poor drivers

January 17 2014 at 1:05 PM Report abuse +6 rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to jktkw's comment
Mackisus

As a retired trucker, I've gone off the road 3 times in my 27 years. No one around, just me. Dumb ass? Maybe, but each time I was going very slowly and literally could not see the road. Luckily I did not tip the truck over..just went off far enough to require a tow truck. If you've never been in a situation where you can't see the reflectors, the lines on the road, or the edge of the road..or the road, consider yourself lucky.

January 17 2014 at 2:32 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Mackisus's comment
larry

Why not pull off the side and wait till the weather or conditions pass. Being in a hurry never justifies a life or the life of others.

January 18 2014 at 12:58 AM Report abuse rate up rate down