Look: Mars Curiosity Rover Takes Its First Photo of Earth

The photo was captured Jan. 31, 2014, and released today
Related: Mars, Space
NASA/JPL
Thursday, Jan. 6, 2014

What would Earth look like if you were on Mars? Turns out it would look a lot like Mars does from Earth.

This photo - the first taken of Earth by the Curiosity rover - shows Earth as just a speck in a vast sea of stars. The image also includes a silhouetted Martian landscape. It's a stunning shot. The photo was captured Jan. 31, 2014, and was released today. It was processed, according to NASA, "to remove the effects of cosmic rays."

Space agency officials say a human on Mars could easily spot Earth and our moon with the naked eye. We can't help but wonder: How long will it be before someone lands on Mars and does just that?

SEE ON SKYE: 12 Stunning Photos of Mars

Comments

jjerrbberr02

Dammit... I had my eyes closed.

February 07 2014 at 1:06 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
savannahswithgod

Now if it can just return with the answer for Greed we all can be saved. Good job rover, found anything to mate with while there? You're not being shy are you now, standing in the corner while the other vehicles are picking out the Princesses and you left to take home Sheldon's girlfriend.

February 06 2014 at 8:32 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
PSYCHiATRY is a SCAM

can barely see venus from mars with binoculars ; I tried last summer

February 06 2014 at 7:39 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to PSYCHiATRY is a SCAM's comment
savannahswithgod

Off tad here of the subject but I guess you told your shrink that you dreamed of the building he was in the night before seeing him. I forgot, honest! I'll get back on subject. Use to have a decent size telescope. Brother made it, also he made one of the first microwave receivers for TV when that started up. Remember those girls in the Bodysuits on Showtime stretching every which way to music. Some flexible babes there.

February 06 2014 at 8:39 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Pup Equality McKeena

As seen from Mars, is Earth or Venus brighter in Magnitude?

February 06 2014 at 5:50 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Pup Equality McKeena's comment
savannahswithgod

Depends on whether our little rover has his shades on and is trying to be Kool? Guess coming years there will be little Chinese on Mars. I say Venus just because we see it brighter from here. I think that is how it goes. I think I traveled to Jupiter one time on the Astral Plain, a different plain then what we see or know. Get that feeling anyway.

February 06 2014 at 8:36 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Photos: Is Sochi Ready for the Olympic Games?